Top 7 MongoDB Clients you should know about in 2023
MongoDB, a NoSQL database,is a source-available cross-platform document-oriented database program. Popular in the developer community because of the flexibility it provides, MongoDB uses JSON-like documents with optional schemas.
Command-line is the default interface for MongoDB. And working with MongoDB through the command line is not exactly a cakewalk. Document DBs work through nested key-value pairs instead of relational tables and columns. You’re going to need to parse data for your front-end eventually, and with document DBs, your data is already stored in the right format. So, here is a list of the most popular MongoDB management tools with Interface for reading from and writing to your MongoDB clusters.
The mongo shell gives the most basic way to access MongoDB. You can use the mongo shell to execute admin operations in addition to querying and updating data.
Mongo shell is included in the MongoDB server installation, so if you are comfortable with shell commands, you are all set.
MongoDB GUI Client
While you can continue to query your Mongo data exclusively from the command line, GUIs have proved to be a helpful alternative by providing a better user interface.
MongoDB GUIs give users the ability to interact with the MongoDB database, visualize data, edit queries, and more without having to use the command line.
The best one for you will depend on the scope of your project, the features you need, and your budget. But in the end, the best will be the one you like.
1. MongoDB Compass
MongoDB Compass is an effective GUI tool from the makers of MongoDB. It provides a graphical view of your mongo database without you having to learn query languages. No need to write command line. It also analyses documents and displays rich structures inside this intuitive GUI. You can write JSON Schema validation rules using an editor that suggests BSON data types and validation keywords as you write.
Compass MongoDB Client Best Features:
- Fully featured Compass GUI completely free for everyone to use
- Open-source repo on GitHub
- Schema visualization to better understand datasets
- Easy approach to perform CRUD operations from the user interface
- Quick insight into server status and query performance
- Easy to take decisions about indexing, document validation
- API to add plugins that can generate data for testing, inspect database users. You can build your own using their plugin template for any extra features.
2. Robo 3T (formerly Robomongo)
Robo 3T is one of the most popular GUI for MongoDB users.
It is a lightweight, open-source tool that has cross-platform support. Robo 3T embeds the mongo shell within its interface to provide both shell and GUI-based interaction. It is developed by the team behind Studio 3T, the IDE for MongoDB – 3T Software.
Robo 3T MongoDB GUI Best Features:
- The embedded shell provides increased functionality as it works directly with MongoDB
- Asynchronous, non-blocking UI
- Supports MongoDB 4.0
- Useful runtime autocomplete feature that works through an internal virtual machine.
- Operations are executed asynchronously so users get a faster UI that does not block you from working by freezing up
- A large community of users, plenty of tutorials, guides, and forums to get support
3. Studio 3T (formerly MongoChef)
Studio 3T is a power-packed cross-platform IDE (integrated development environment) especially designed for the MongoDB users. Owned by the 3T Software Labs, this MongoDB GUI tool lets you directly write SQL queries (similar to NoSQL Booster). It is a rather professional version of Robo 3T (also owned by 3T software labs).
High volume of query methods (including less “technical” ones) makes Studio 3T usable for anyone, no matter their familiarity with document-based databases, query languages, or command lines.
Studio 3T MongoDB GUI Best Features:
- Three ways to view data: Tree, Table, JSON. The tree view displays data into expandable hierarchies, suitable for large and deeply nested documents
- Export queries in Node.js, Python, Java, C#, PHP and Ruby, and mongo shell language using Code generation tool
- Data importer works with SQL and Oracle
- Autocomplete queries with IntelliShell
- Drag and drop fields to visually build queries
- Use SQL, with INNER and OUTER joins, to query MongoDB
- Secure connections for single MongoDB instances and replica sets
NoSQLBooster is a shell-centric MongoDB GUI with a built-in script debugger, SQL query, server monitoring, and true IntelliSense.
Similar to Studio 3T’s IntelliShell, NoSQL Booster’s IntelliSense language service appears as a tooltip while you type to suggest completions, methods, properties, variables, keywords, collection names, field names, and operators.
NoSQLBooster MongoDB GUI Best Features:
- SQL query builder lets you query your collections using SQL query language
- Import Node.js modules like lodash, bluebird, ShellJS, or moment.js within the shell using the Shell extensions
- A Log Parser allows you to filter and analyze your MongoDB logs
- Supports mongoose-like fluent query builder API
- Rich performance monitoring and analysis tools
Schedule a 1:1 session with an expert from our team to learn more about building a low-code GUI for your MongoDB data
HumongouS.io is a powerful online MongoDB GUI that goes beyond the classic MongoDB GUI. It offers a fully-fledged online admin interface creation tool with an intuitive UI even for non-technical users. Since it offers an online interface, you can invite people to collaborate with you from the app and access the app from any end-user device – mobile, tablet, laptop.
HumongouS.io MongoDB GUI Best Features:
- Smart filters to display collections as chips that enable quicker access
- Comes with a Charts and Dashboards creation tool to track critical metrics
- A widget system to customize how data is displayed. Widgets pull data from reference collections (clickable urls, formatted numbers, image previews…)
- You can access your data through this GUI anywhere, even on mobile devices
- Smart Search feature lets you search your database with just keywords
- Display specialized data using layout widgets, an alternative to the default table view
6. NoSQL Manager
NoSQL Manager is a MongoDB GUI tool that merges the power of shell with an intuitive user interface. NoSQL manager supports all the MongoDB and MongoDB Enterprise features, making it easy to navigate, view, and update documents. You can use this GUI to effectively manage collections, users, roles, and functions. It also saves time for database developers and administrators.
NoSQL Manager MongoDB GUI Best Features:
- It is a fully features GUI with autocomplete and syntax highlighting support
- Easy-to-use document viewer. Tree, table and JSON view modes in editor
- Support replica sets, shared clustered connections, and standalone hosts
- NoSQL manager offers SSH tunneling
- File Manager Tool to work with GridFS
- Import tables from MySQL and SQL Server databases
- Multiple Mongo host database connections
- Export documents to CSV, XML, XLSX, and JSON file formats
DronaHQ is a web-based low-code internal tool builder to create internal tools like GUIs, Admin Panels, Dashboards, and custom apps.
Thanks to a WYSIWYG UI editor and pre-built UI controls, you can create full-feature MongoDB GUIs, perform CRUD operations, connect to anything with a REST or GraphQL API.
- Easily connect to MongoDB data in a couple of clicks
- Visual builder is easy to learn. Reusable controls like charts, table grids, lists, detailed view, buttons, form fields, and custom UI control further save time spent in designing the perfect user interface
- A visual query builder to query your SQL/NoSQL databases when you need server-side filtering based on criteria defined at run time.
- Built once, you can access your database GUI from any end-user portal.
- Support unlimited user in the starter and business (user-based) pricing plans
- interact with data, filter rows, sort rows, edit
- If you need to share the tool/app with more end-users, you can grant role-based access permissions to control who has view rights, edit rights, delete permissions, and so on.
Best MongoDB GUI for Your Project
The best MongoDB GUI for you depends on what you’re trying to accomplish, your comfort with writing queries and command lines, and your team. If you want to completely avoid the command line, MongoDB’s Compass is probably the most appropriate natively integrated GUI out there. If you want a simple application that has a well-supported community, Robo 3T is the best GUI. Studio 3T would be the right upgrade if you are experienced and looking to work with an advanced Robo 3T. If you’re familiar with SQL and want to keep writing queries in everyone’s favourite query language, NoSQLBooster is the way to go. If you’re looking to easily and quickly build a custom MongoDB GUI that can be shared with teams to securely interact with your Mongo data visually, check out DronaHQ.