Why create a Low-Code Center of Excellence (COE)?
Low-code is helping many organizations from across industries transform their digital landscape and modernize at speed. By doing so, low-code vendors have identified the phases of implementation for their platform at the customer’s end.
Organizations see an opportunity to improve business processes when they start modernizing and creating newer tools at speed for their business processes. Low-Code Center of Excellences is helping businesses utilize their existing resources and time to quickly deliver new solutions by onboarding their teams to the right low code platform, setting up governance, building the culture of low-code development, creating reusable templates and app components, and delivering flexible and reusable solutions that can evolve easily as time progresses.
These Low-Code Center of Excellences are providing major productivity gains and reusable functionality, letting customers create production-ready apps in shorter spans.
For example, pharmaceutical companies and banking institutions that need to keep up to date with fast-changing guidelines and regulations can reduce development and modernization time and ensure the application/solutions can be readily updated with the same speed and ease in the future.
Once one team or department has experimented and achieved success over application modernization, best practices are shared and prepared to extrapolate and use for other departments. This is a major advantage of implementing a Low-Code Center of Excellence.
What does a Low-Code Center of Excellence do?
A low-code center of excellence is used to bring a diverse and knowledgeable group of experts within the organization together to develop best practices for the rest of the team to follow and start designing apps using low-code. The Low-Code Center of Excellence has a support function that aims to increase the productivity of the developers, professionals, or citizens while maintaining consistent governance. With the Low-Code Center of Excellence set up, organizations can take a breather and assure their digital goals continue to actualize.
A Low-Code Center of Excellence team could comprise an adoption unit, a strategist, governance, operations, and support.
Why you need a Low-Code Center of Excellence?
Here are some of the reasons why enterprise low-code adoption needs a dedicated Center of Excellence (LCAS CoE):
- Governance And Standardization – An LCAS CoE would bring in the necessary standardization, methodology, security, and governance.
- Mass Adoption – An LCAS CoE would spur internal adoption for Application Development & Delivery (AD&D).
- Innovation – champion innovations by experimenting with new and cutting-edge concepts such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Analytics, etc and incorporate them seamlessly into their internal apps.
- Faster Time to Market – Low-Code Center of Excellence acts as a catalyst here by experimenting and evaluating MVPs and rolling them out fast to larger audiences.
- Citizen Development – One of the problems plaguing the traditional enterprise software development is the fact that it was difficult to meet the business’ expectations of cost and timeline.
A Forrester Report shows that close to 93% of low-code customers had benefited from either significant improvement (26%) or modest improvement (67%) in meeting the business’ expectations of timeline and budget.
Key responsibilities of a Low-Code Center of Excellence
The primary goal of the Low-Code Center of Excellence team is to accelerate digital transformation through custom low code apps and process automation.
- Build an agile delivery practice by capturing and translating business requirements into usable apps
- Build reusable deployment packages that fully align with security, compliance, and service management policies
- Maintain a functional Azure platform in alignment with operational procedures
- Review and approve the use of cloud-native tools
- Over time, standardize and automate commonly needed platform components and solutions
Low-Code Center of Excellence Give Rise Modern Development Practices To Go Live Faster
We are living in on-demand times that are accelerating businesses towards rapid digital transformation and as a result, the IT industry is facing demands like never before.
Modern software development will start with low code CoE since so many reusable frameworks and components will already be set up by the cross-functional teams that it will make it easy for the business to utilize the ready components. The right teams work together to put in place applications, automation recipes, workflows, and more that are then made available for more users to utilize and build on top of. This way the organization gets a flexible and agile system in place that continues to adhere to their technology guidelines and requirements.
Scale with a plan
Low-code application development will be responsible for more than 65% of application development activity by 2024.
As the world is progressing to the next normal, the tasks and processes that need to be automated, optimized, or digitized will continue to grow and will need to establish the right set of governance/guidelines that support agile methodologies and ensure consistency across applications. Be it a CoE of a full-blown digital factory or a mere team of 5 developers, when empowered with the right tools and best practices, will continue to assist in a continuum of scale, innovation, and efficiency.